TIPS FOR ONLINE GATHERINGS
- For Bible studies, use the chat feature in Zoom or Facebook live. Give youth a passage and challenge them to find a meme or .gif to respond to the verse as a comment.
- Use games available on Jackboxgames.com — remember to have family friendly mode turned on!
- Do a scavenger hunt where you ask them to get things from the house and bring it to the screen.
- Use the whiteboard feature in Zoom to play Pictionary.
TIPS FOR CONNECTING WITH JUNIOR HIGH YOUTH
High school youth tend to be easier to connect with online likely because they tend to already be online. Connecting with junior high youth seems trickier. Some things that have worked:
- Get parents’ permission to use the parent’s Facebook page for a Facebook Live meeting.
- As more congregations adopt and get familiar with Zoom, parents may be more comfortable allowing their junior highers to use Zoom to meet with their youth group there.
- Meeting online may not be the best option, write a note of encouragement or goofy memories and mail it. Bring back chain letters.