abridged from a Facebook post by Freeman Academy
120 years ago…
“The College,” built in 1903 on the newly established campus of South Dakota Mennonite College on the south end of Main Street in Freeman, was formally dedicated on October 25. The following week the Freeman Courier reported: “A large audience gathered at the Mennonite College last Sunday afternoon to attend dedication exercises. Reverend Jos Kaufman, Christ Mueller, H. Bachman, and John L. Wipf addressed the people and held the attention of the large congregation throughout the entire instructive discourses.”
There were two eight-week terms for the fall and spring and a 16-week term for the winter that first year, with both elementary and high school classes. Tuition for the short terms was set at $4.75 for the older students and $3 for the younger students. Tuition for the long term was $12 and $6 respectively.
(Special thanks to Heritage Hall Museum and Archives for sharing these pieces of history.)